.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006


Because our flight to Dublin was cancelled, and the first flight out of Paris is on the 6th ( the day we were to leave Dublin for London) we will go straight to London now....This is unfortunate as Troy and I both wanted to see Ireland, but que sera sera.

Today, our generous hosts offered to let us stay one more night in light of our transportation issues. After arranging a new flight ( in an airport one hour away in Beavais ) we were delighted to have Troy's pack delivered via US air!! Everything, save one weak shampoo bottle which exploded in a small pocket, was in order. Troy now had a towel, new underwear and socks, and clothes; Just in time, as everything was starting to get a little ripe ;-)

A.V walked us to the post office of Levallois-Perrett ( a prefecture in Paris) where Troy mailed his mom a postcard, and then we feasted on French pasteries and bread again. This morning was 10-15% colder than yesterday, and we ended up running through the bustling streets to get to the metro. It was the only transport not entirely disrupted by the strikes.

After buying our tickets ( hey we are total pros now- "bonjour, deux billets-- merci!") we visited the Pantheon and Opera.

The Pantheon is an amazing structure originally finished in 1790, which was used for religious purposes, to store arms during war, and now houses catacombs for France's most prestigious/famous/accomplished citizens of the past. I hung out next to Voltaire ( if you haven't already read Candide!), and Victor Hugo....and the heater, as the huge building was made from stone and cold as hell.

Afterwards we headed to the Opera Garnier ( this was actually our third time around, as the first it was closed all day, the second we arrived 15 minutes after it closed), and both of us were amazed with the size and granduer of the main foyer. Each inch was covered with a painting, carving, or chandelier, and my eyes were lost in the incredible detail.... In the picture, Troy is standing in the main foyer at Garnier....PS...see our newly uploaded photos on http://public.fotki.com/visceraltext/

I also had to break down and buy another pair of pants....I know I said I would rough it with two, but I seriously need one more pair!

Tomorrow is our second attempt at Versailles, laundry, and gathering London info...

xoxoxooxox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home