
Since the inception of our decision to quit our jobs ( which didn't materialize until September 2005) my days and nights are filled with travel planning. I think about it when I wake up, and when I go to bed...There is not a travel-dreaming-free second. Embarking on such a journey and minimizing wasted funds is something that requires research, time and effort. The first and most obvious element ( TICKETS) have been purchased; with NO return flight I might add :-) www.sidestep.com is an incredible resource for the cheapest tickets around. I looked at justfares.com, STA travel, and airtreks, all around the world trip planners. Sidestep was by far ($150 per ticket) cheaper and did not require student or youth ( ISIC) cards. Because we have things that need to be kept safe while away ( furniture, vehicles, and pets) we will be leaving San Francisco end of March 2006 to drive down to Phoenix; where Troy's family lives. Our open jaw ( a ticket that flys into one destination and out of another) tickets are Phoenix to Chicago to Paris on March 30th. Our second, and only, other flight is from Athens, Greece to Bangkok Thailand on May 22nd 2006. This gives us almost two full months to explore Europe. Its much more expensive than all parts of Southeast Asia, and I'm hoping we can rough it to save $$$.In any case, the next on my list for purchase are InteRail tickets to move through Europe. www.bootsnall.com is a great resource that gives you accurate pricing and route information. InteRail offers citizens outside the EU to buy consecutive day travels at a cheap rate. Now I'm just trying to figure out whether our trip would be cheaper if we purchase point to point fares or monthly passes. :-/Another huge point on the list, is INSURANCE. www.worldnomads.com This is the best, cheapest and most flexible insurance for travelers I have found. The limits are the highest for the price, and you can even insure your digital laptop and camera for a few bucks more. We are starting with the family plan ( just means 2 adults) for 5 months and then extending on the road. Its $411 for 5 months ( included medical/dental/baggage loss/medical evacuation) They even have a travel journal free with your insurance :-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home