

Happy children. They’re the first thing I noticed crossing the border into Siem Reap, Cambodia.The ratio is really amazing. Of course I am not aware of any official statistics, but I would assume there is 1 adult for every 6 children. At least it appears that way in the Northwest part of Cambodia, where we are now. It feels like a real-life Neverland. Imagine it common for a few ten year olds to supervise a small herd of toddlers, feeding, carrying, bathing.
And these are some beautiful children.
You see them everywhere. Many are without parents or family. Some are disfigured from landmines. All of them are impossibly poor. They are sitting on corners laughing, riding double on bikes, climbing trees, walking hand-in-hand through a market, playing naked in a puddle. If they see you (this is something I was not expecting) their golden, dusty faces swirl into brilliant, genuine smiles as they wave “hello, sok sabai” or “hello, how are you?”. And for a single second, without any pretense, or want for something back, they give their joy to you. It is just THE best feeling, and I don’t think I can ever tire of it.
If you come to Cambodia, and experience this, you will understand it has nothing to do with money, or getting anything in return. I became a bit jaded to strangers’ intent in Thailand for this reason. Not to say they don’t have lots of kid-vendors (groomed by the parents to be pushy) who want your money, they do, but there are just as many you pass who want nothing more than a shared smile…
We passed two boys, not more than 6 years old, who were singing a Khmer song to each other, as we exited a temple. They didn’t run towards us, pull at our clothes, or ask us for anything. They only interrupted their song for a smile and a friendly wave. Luckily, we had a package of biscuits which we gave to them; the most gracious little creatures you can fathom. They both grinned sincerely and bowed their heads while taking the package, in the traditional “wai” (hands pressed together in front of you while nodding down) and then went about their happy business.
This aspect of the Cambodian culture is the number one reason I suggest everyone visit. Obviously there are many other attractions like jungle treks, rafting, motorcycle trips and the Angkor Complex, but where else can you be surrounded, night and day, by polite, gracious, delicious little toddlers who can be so blissfully happy without any luxury at all? It is an uplifting place everyone should experience once in their lifetime. If you know even a shred about the Cambodian history and hardships, their demeanor and attitude is nothing short of inspirational.
As many of you know, I plan to give to a local orphanage in Siem Reap. There are so many who need. We will get more information as soon as we can, but we will probably be buying uniforms, shoes, pens/pencils/books, and back-packs for these children to attend school. I will post more and how you can help, soon…
Until then, be content with everything and everyone you have in your life. Happiness is, really, entirely up to you-
xoxoxoxooxox
There are a few new pictures on the fotki site :) Enjoy! http://public.fotki.com/visceraltext/

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home