.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006


This is not a photoshop manifestion, folks. What you see before you are 4 inch hissing cockroaches ( with some limes, chilies, nuts ) prepared for sale by a street vendor in Bangkok. You hear about this sort of nonsense back home, as a sort of urban-travel legend. Alas, it is REAL! I offer the alarming evidence: this photo.

The first day we walked past this vendor, I didn't have my camera, and she had the same set-up ( with large roaches and live crickets) and I cursed myself endlessly for having forgotten it. It is not everyday you see this sort of thing on the street. In any case, I had my camera with me today, and had to take a picture. I tried to take a photo of the weaved basket heavy with live, springing crickets, but the heavy foot-traffic prevented this...

I did want to really show scale of these insects ( a la the new King Kong movie), but my stomach revolted entirely at 3 feet, so putting my head, hand, belonging next to these was not an option...

Anyway...more to come soon my lovelies! I felt guilty about not blogging for so long :)

PS. Hi Sabrina!! Lotsa lov to you, Derek and Kaia!!! ( sp?)xoxox

2 Comments:

Blogger DonaldRillera said...

Daija and Troy, MMMmmmm, mmmmm and mmmm. Great protein, Asian style. !!! Have you forgotten what our Palmetto bugs look like and the size of some of those babies.?? I must admit "YOURS ARE BIGGER". !!! Question.??? Do yours fly.??? or is that fry.??? Tell me, how do the natives best prepare this delicacy or do you just crunch them down, with a bit of sauce.??? I've been told they are best dipped in chocolate, however the chocolate takes away from that distinct taste. The real connoisseurs prefer to eat them alive and raw. (This goes for crickets as well.)!!! To each his own. Perhaps you might start a fad by eating a few nuts, squeeze a little lime juice on a couple of those BAD boys and douse them with a bit of chilies. Don't forget the salt. !!!ALAS, MUNCHIES THAI. John called a few moments ago from the Keys and caught a bounty of all different kinds of fish. We'll probably have a fish-fry some time soon. Have a great 4th and thanks for the up-date. Love you, Dad XOXOXOX

Wednesday, July 05, 2006  
Blogger Sabrina James said...

Hi Daija...

Wow. Yum. Aren't you guys going to try the roaches? You have to LIVE the experience... right? I mean were people actually buying them?

I read your Mom's comment that you are going to sponser a school in Cambodia... please let me know what I can do here to help you. (fund raiser? I can throw a party!) Send me the details or have your Mom email me if she has them. sabrina.james@hotmail.com

Miss you girl! Please be safe.

Sabrina

Thursday, July 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home