.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006







ACCEPTING DONATIONS FOR PHNAM KAOWL
****HUGS AND KISSES FOR ALL OF YOU****
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE SO FAR!!!

We will have new pictures and updates from the village on the 25th of July.
Please check www.fotki.com/visceraltext for newly uploded pics of this village.

This is Phnam Kaowl or "bottom of the mountain". It's not just a clever name, it does actually sit at the bottom of a mountain :) as you can see from the first picture. This large commune sits about 10 minutes away from the great Tonle Sap Lake in Northwest Cambodia.

Here are some questions about this village and our project:

*How many people are in this village?
500 families or 3000 people

*Why did you decide to support this village?
They are in dire need. The rocky ground of the area makes it more expensive to put water pumps in, so they have only 2 for the entire 3000 person community. They also need uniforms and food.

*What is the commune chief's name?
Mr. Sang

*How many water pumps do they need?
As many as we can deliver. To start, I have commissioned two to be built immediately, both are in areas badly in need. Upon their completion ( July 23rd), we will hopefully have a better idea of who else can give a pump and issue building orders at that time.

* How much is the total cost of a water pump?
It costs from $140-170. It ranges on difficulty and depth of drilling ( soft/hard ground) and the construction of the pump. One of the two I have commissioned needs to have a 2 foot brick walls to protect the ground water from contaminated ponds nearby.

*What is the process to install a water pump?
It takes about 2 trips. The first trip is to scout the location for the pump, talk to the locals/chief about their preferences and get pertinent information regarding the pump. The second trip is to bring the sign and take pictures of happy villagers using the pump :)

*What other costs are involved with delivering food and installing water pumps?
Apart from the costs of the items themselves, we have the cost of the car/driver, Heang. He has been invaluable to us translating, carrying/delivering goods, and negotiating the lowest prices with local vendors. It would not be possible without him! We use the lower cost tuk-tuk ( or motorbike with a trailer) for $15 per day when we scout an area, get information, and assemble lists of the needy. We use the car for $30 per day when we are transporting the signs for the pump and delivering the 300-325lb load.

*What type of food do you bring and how much does that cost?
We bring the staples. The cheapest and most nutritious foods for them are rice and noodles. A 50 kilo ( 100lb) sack of rice is $14.00. A 50 pack carton of noodles is $5. We are making dispersements of 20 lb bags of rice and 20 packs of noodles per family. With these "bags" we can feed them for about 7-10 days, all for around $4.80 per family.

*What if I can't afford a whole pump?
That's ok! We can use the smaller donations all together for a pump ( with the sign friends and family of Daija and Troy) or use them for clothing and food. These are items that are badly needed as well. Every dollar counts.

*We have poor here. Why should I help these people so far away?
I have yet to visit an American city that does not have a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. We also have institutions like welfare, unemployment and free healthcare. In a financial sense, the people here have nothing, save the small palm frond houses they build themselves. Life here is unimaginably hard. They are an industrious people, though they struggle daily to have food to eat, and keep themselves clean, clothed and healthy. I think that is a right of any human being, isn't it? While we are here, doing this with our own hands, we can make a lifetime difference to these people, but we can't do it without you!

*How do I get you the donation?
You can use paypal to my email address, visceraltext@yahoo.com, and include your name and address, and message for sign ( if you are donating a pump). You can also donate cash to my Mom, or mail a check to 7830 NW 46th Street, Lauderhill, Fl 33351. If you send a check, be sure to send an email right away with the amount of your donation and your personal information, so we don't wait to help.

*How long will you be there to work with these people?
Troy and I have to get to Vietnam around the first week of August. We have roughly two weeks from now, and can possibly extend the trip a few days to accomodate as much as possible.

*What if I have more questions for you?
Drop me an email! I check it daily, and will answer you as quick as I can

THANK YOU ALL!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

2 Comments:

Blogger DonaldRillera said...

Daija and Troy, It was soooo great hearing from you.!!! Your discriptions of your World Trip adventures are really a delight for me and others. I don't think I can wait until spring of next year to be in your company once again.!! Perhaps I can meet up with you some place in this world. It will take a bit of co-ordination however it's VERY possible. I've been learning some basic spanish conversational skills. ( I should have done this a loooong time ago.) I really am practising up on my "YO HABLO UN POCO DE ESPANOL PERO NO MUCHO" perhaps for a S. American trip.??? New Zealand might be a place to hook up with since you're planning to work there for a bit. Just wishful thinking, however, I'd like you to keep it in mind, seriously.!!! Love you sincerely, Dad XOXOXOX P.S. TONGO UN POCO DOLLARS Y MUCHOS PESOS. QUE DIOS TE BENDIGA. TU TOCASTE MI AMORES.

Friday, July 21, 2006  
Blogger DonaldRillera said...

Daija and Troy, Hello again....... Dad would like to donate funds for a pump.!!!! Hopefully I'm not to late.??? I'm new to the pay-pal method of payment and have left word with your Mom to help me with this matter.I hope we can expeditiously accomplish this task before you leave this area of need.I admire your willingness to help others and want to do a part to help. My prayer is that you could give others the "LIVING WATER" that they may never thirst again. However, some are called to be expediters to attend to the needs of others (NOW IF POSSIBLE)and that's what you are doing. I'm sooooooo proud of you. Tomorrow is the celebration of "Parents Day" and I'm thankful to be one of yours. Keep up the GREAT work. Peace, love, strength and joy in ALL that you doing. Sincerely, Dad XOXOXOX

Sunday, July 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home