.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

WE LANDED!!!

After a very different experience in Bahrain ( guys wearing white long dress-looking things with sheets and black ropes around their head, prayer rooms and prayers in the airport, women walking in all black dresses with their head and face completely covered with a black shawl-only their eyes poked through) we landed this morning in Bangkok. Happily met by Penny and two other escorts ( tourist police and airport security) we bribed ( I guess this is the custom :-) ) the customs guys to skip the line of hundreds of foreign tourists and pass through without a hitch....It was unexpectedly smooth. At one point an airport guy stopped us and asked to lookin our bags, but he was quickly shooed away by the police Penny had with us :-))

It is hot, but it isn't any more hot than Athens was....just a little more humid. It is exactly like Miami weather, I would say.

Penny and Dans house is also not typical Thai....They've got all the comforts of a nice new American home! They have two stories, our own private bathroom, normal toilet ( no holes in the floor) with a modern kitchen, internet, satellite TV and english books/newspapers!!! This place feels just like home...

Troy and I joked that it feels like were in Az, Ca or Fl?

I'm at an internet cafe sipping a latte in a shopping mall right now, how exotic eh???

After a few days of getting acclimated, I think Troy and I will venture around Bangkok and they surrounding areas on our own before heading down to the islands.

We are in safe, sound and strangely in all the American comforts of home :-)

Until next time
xoxoxoxox

1 Comments:

Blogger DonaldRillera said...

AH SOO, "Welcome to the Orient". Glad to see the Geisha Girl is giving you some great scoop on some of the routines prevalent there. Bribes DO go a long way when you are in the know. Reminds me of when I bypassed ALL customs when visiting the Philippines because of my father. Too bad he's not alive to usher you into his home in San Fernando, La Union. Someday IF I live long enough I'll tell you the rest of the story. (Sounds like Paul Harvey)Be very careful with flashing ANY currency around. What we consider is pocket money is in fact (depending on the rate of exchange) a tidy sum to those that don't have much. I remember carrying around a couple of hundred dollars, and was told by my Dad this represented more than 2 yrs. wages to most of the people there. A word to the wise is sufficient. Love you both, Dad P.S. The Suns made it to the Western Conference finals against the Mavericks. The Heat are playing the Pistons now. I'll catch up with you'll later. XOXOXOX

Wednesday, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home